Friday, May 21, 2010

BLOGGERS QUILT FESTIVAL


CLICK TO ENLARGE PICTURE,
THEN CLICK AGAIN TO GET
REALLY UP CLOSE
FOR DETAIL.








This button is NOT working...can't delete it!!!




I've decided to enter this quilt in the Bloggers Quilt Festival because it was probably the first quilt that I quilted with some degree of confidence.



I took a sampler class and we made the block and quilted it with just the batting...no backing.  I found it so much easier to do that way...one block at a time.



We did several types of blocks...a ring of machine appliqued hearts ...stuffed, a ring of grape leaves with couched tendrils, a fancy Celtic knot created by machine appliqueing bias strips around the edges, and a fancy Celtic design in trapunto.




I made 3 of each block (except I made 2 grape leaves and 1 just the grapes).  When I put the blocks together I had trouble because of the plain white Celtic blocks...so I 'experimented' with crayons, coloring in the 3 blocks and then setting with an iron and washing.  Not THAT happy with the result...I wish I would have done something different with that block...or made 4 and put them in the corners.

The best thing about the class was that with the teacher guiding me...I had more confidence to 'quilt'.  I made this quilt in 2005 and haven't had it out since...I just noticed that I didn't quilt the border...will have to remedy that soon.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.  Have a great weekend!

22 comments:

  1. What lovely colors!

    margaret
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, that sounds like a fun class. Your results into a quilt are smashingly beautiful! Yes you must finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful!
    thanks for sharing
    Beth in Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations the beautiful quilt !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is just absolutely gorgeous!! A winner in my book for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! You need to take it out and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a beautiful quilt! Lovely details and the dimension is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning! I'm glad I clicked to enlarge. The details are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. Love all the blocks, design, fabrics, color. You did a fantastic job.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a lovely quilt. Its amazing just how much we grow as quilters with some of the quilts we make.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are beautiful blocks, especially those nine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, my goodness!! what a truly beautiful quilt. i just love this--the colors are ones i love and the fabrics great. marvelous quilting. whole thing is one of my all time favorites. thanks for the story of it also

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a most beautiful quilt, my dear. Your quilts are lovely. Thank you for sharing. Happy Quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This one shouldn't be put away, finish quilting it and enjoy. It is a charming quilt.
    Come see my antique quilt entries
    http://starleyquilts.blogspot.com
    http://utahquiltappraiser.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it....You should hang this one. I love the combination of trapunto, embroidery, applique, and puff. It is really a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This quilt is a beauty! Why don't you have it out on a bed, or the wall or somewhere that you can look at it and show it off to others!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Actually it has been sold!!! and that's a 'good thing'. Anita

    ReplyDelete

It's always so much fun to read comments...thanks for leaving one.