Homespun plaids are a little different to work on I found out...for one thing they don't cut true....no matter how hard you try. I sewed the strings onto a muslin foundation. They don't look too pretty while sewing...but when the blocks are pressed and squared up...they look great.
As I was making up the blocks...I found that spray starch made a huge difference...I never use starch, but am glad I did for these blocks.
When I finished the quilt and washed it I was sooooo impressed, this may be my favorite cuddly, crinkly, down home feeling quilt!
I just love it! I'm thinking of making another...already have started making some blocks!
Thanks for stopping by...and don't forget to visit the FESTIVAL!!!
A few days ago my computer just up and died...can't get it to start...Luckily when my son was here in June he hooked up an old tower. So I have internet and email...but no printer or camera hookup... so, alas, no pictures to share.
I'm having a great time putting the homespun plaids string quilt together...it is going so smoothly...I'm really impressed.
My 9 patch blocks came out slightly smaller than the 3 1/2" they are supposed to be...but I'm easily able to line up all the intersections. Wish I could show you, but I am taking pics for later.
Hopefully I will either connect this old tower to the camera...or get a new computer...either way it will be awhile.
Here is the preliminary block for the plaid quilt...just thrown down on the cutting table to see if it all fits!
It actually looks like it might come together...I've been secretly worrying about this quilt...cause my measurements might be all wrong. But it's not over yet...they have to be SEWN together not just placed side by side!
I have a whole drawer full of homespun plaids, checks, etc....been wanting to do SOMETHING with them for a long time....found just the right project at http://juliekquilts.blogspot.com/ She has the most gorgeous quilt as her header and I want one too!! So this past weekend I started cutting...barely made a dent in my stash...
I've made about a dozen blocks so far...I think I may have over cut! But I'll just keep on making these blocks and see where it takes me.
I also managed to finally get my road game/quilt quilted and bound. Just need some major thread trimming and I'll show a full picture. Also got another small quilt to the binding stage.
It's amazing that I was able to finish this top......had company since last post and more to come tomorrow! In bits and pieces I was able to complete this quilt. I think I will call it Country Road Trip. It is a game and a quilt...has little machine embroidered cars to play with.
Here's a close up.
Still has lots and lots of threads to clip and some background quilting to do.
Yesterday I started on a redwork quilt...been wanting to make one for years.
I'm making the centers of the friendship star block the redwork...these are machine embroidered redwork designs. I have over 2 dozen designs-all children-so there's lots to choose from.
Not sure yet how big this quilt will be...I'll probably do straight line quilting, so I can make a larger quilt if I want...will wait and see. I'm not too in love with making the stars and the small ??? Irish Chain ??? blocks.
CLICK ON THE PICTURES TWICE TO ENLARGE
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!
PS....SOMEHOW I'VE LOST MY FAVORITES...SOMETIMES THEY COME UP, BUT MOSTLY THEY DON'T. A WHILE AGO I LOST MY COUNTER...????
I'm going to try for at least 3 posts a month! Hopefully I can produce some quilty things to fill those posts. Might keep me motivated. I'm working on a BIG UFO right now...actually started this quilt in 2004!!
I'm down to the last 5 blocks !! Yippee !! Above is the BEFORE....and below is the after...
This is my own version of a micro stippling...actually just filling in the whole area with small stitches...very time consuming and HURTS MY HANDS REALLY REALLY BAD !!
Here is the whole side panel...only 3 more blocks to go. Trying to work on it everyday.
I finished my Purple Sampler Quilt today...I had to get rid of the 'white trapunto blocks'. They were pretty, but just looked odd to me. so I used the raw edge (frayed) technique to applicque some large flowers. I think it came out great...will be putting on Etsy today.
Click the pictures, then click again to enlarge.
Speaking of Etsy...I am so happy...I have sold 3 quilts !! Doing the happy dance !!!
I started this quilt several years ago...it was a workshop of all different applique techniques as well as different background quilting.
Here is where I blogged about this quilt BEFORE....I had used the crayon technique to color in the trapunto...